Emmy's Page O'CTY Stuff =P
This page is dedicated to keeping the memory of CTY alive forever. Not that it could die if you've been there. But this page is also for those poor, uninitiated souls who have never been. *sob* And for only seven cents a day, you can give a child...Sorry! Wrong commercial. Anyway, this page doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it probably never will. Just like CTY! You just have to love it. If you have anything at all related to CTY, e-me and I will add it. And please keep in mind that I have only been to CTY twice. I discovered its magic too late...
The entire Rounds Two RA group from Saratoga II would also like to send a special shout out to Chia. Chia, we hardly knew thee, we are very sorry you missed meeting us all, but we would like to also thank you in part. Because of you, it was possible for Karen to have her own room. This made it possible for her to allow us to plaster her wall with magazine pix. I will not indulge the subjects of most pictures... But thank you for party central. Chia, please, phone home!
It's the most magical time, of the year...
*hums along to the tune of the song a bit, notices other surfers staring at her, grins, and quickly stops humming* Ahem. It's May! And CTYers all over the world are getting ready for summer!
I have one pic. I'm working on the others... I need some time to sit down and have a chat with a scanner. Also, I will be transferring this entire site (moins pictures) to Tripod ASAP.
Skip directly to what you are interested in, or just skim down the whole page.
- The Official John Hopkins IAAY-CTY homepage Not
very entertaining, but informative!
- Here is a list of every CTYer Home
Page I have found so far. Much more entertaining!
- Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York is where I attended CTY. Check their home page. CTY is also held in Clinton, New York; LA, CA; Hamilton, Pennsylvania; Baltimore, Maryland, and somewhere else that escapes me at the moment...
- CTY Music
- Missing CTY? Bored? Need a broken finger so you can skip that English exam? How 'bout teaching all your friends to play Egyptian
Rat Screw (or Rat's Crew if you're an RA...) This page has a great description of the game and good card graphics. You could also play Mau which isn't nearly as violent and has no rules. Hitchhiker's Mau is the most popular format at CTY, but you can make up anything.
- Top Ten Reasons to attend CTY-Saratoga.
- Have a CTY web site? Want to be connected to other CTYers? Wondering how else to get people to check out your page in January (hmmmm...maybe that's just me...) Vist the home site of the CTY Webring and join! Unfortunately, P* is being stubborn and I can't seem to get there...ARGH!
- Holy flat cat! I was fishing around the internet in my ever present quest to find more CTY links, and I came across this! IAAY Job descriptions. Wowzers. Now I have something to aim for!
- Visit my quotes page, specifically my CTY Quotes. These are things that remind me of CTY.
- Guess what? The Coalition for Transvestite Yodlers is not alone in the universe. Frightening. While searching for yet more useless information the other day, I stumbled upon yet another CTY site. Not quite what I was looking for. If you are interested in __________________________, visit this almost completely unconnected site.
- What I am doing this summer, since I can't go to CTY, *sniff* Ah well, this shall be a close substitute (I HOPE!) Check what I'll do at UVM and MIT.
- My personal thanks. Feel free to read them, not that most people would care
In no particular order...
That's all I have right now. If I missed your page or you would like to add some other page, please e-mail me ASAP!
CTY is a culture all its own. Ask ANYONE whose been there! Each campus is different but there are a few themes. One of those is the music. There are certain songs that all CTYers hold sacred. The most sacred of all, 'American Pie' by Don McLean. If you have been living in a hole the past twenty years (hey, it could happen!) and haven't heard the song, check out this most excellent (loverly grammar, Emmy!)(Then again, what do you want, I'm a mathie) American Pie Page complete with lyrics, music, interpretations, and parodies (It took me a good five minutes to remember that word, so you'd better appreciate it!!!) Another interpertation of American Pie can be found here.
I found it! I found it! I really really found it! Hee hee! I had lost my CTY tape but now...I FOUND IT! YAY! So here is what is on the tape. Please keep in mind that not all of these are popular at all sites. My friend gave me most at Saratoga, from a CD she got at Hamilton. For example, I have never heard Rock Lobstar played at a dance and I detest the song, but I'm leaving it on the list. Anyway, these are the songs on it:
- Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants (see below)
- Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
- James Brown Is Dead
- In Your Eyes
- Rock Lobster - B-52s
- Birdhouse In Your Soul - They Might Be Giants (see below)
- Night Swimming - R.E.M.
- Mon Amour
- Every time I See You Falling (I Get Down On My Knees And Pray)
- Stairway To Heaven
- End Of the World - R.E.M.
- Time Warp - Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Forever Young
- American Pie - Don McLaine (see above)
- Particle Man - They Might Be Giants (see below)
- My Sharona - The Knack
- I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor*
- Cecilia - Simon & Garfunkal
- Son of a Preacher Man**
- Brown Eyed Girl**
* = The only version I could find is performed by Diana Ross, from the In&Out soundtrack. Someone (I can't for the life of me remember who) has also recently remade the song.
** = These aren't actually on the tape yet...I haven't found them yet. If anyone has either, I'll pay postage for a copy of the tape or swap songs.
Another major group from CTY is They Might Be Giants. I think they would qualify as alternative, but they have a style all their own. Some popular songs are:
Birdhouse In My Soul Words/Info MIDI
Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Words/Info MIDI
Particle Man Words/Info MIDI
Top Ten List Reasons to Attend CTY-Saratoga
Brainstormed by Mary Ross and Shannon Bergeron
Second Session, '97, Saratoga Springs (mathies, both of us)
We're "talented youth"
It's a Chia-free zone
Frisbee and four-square are religions here
Scrod and "apple juice"
RA's have interesting social lives
Guys in drag!
Frisbee and four-square are religions here
American Pie (DIE DIE DIE!)
Also special CTY greetings to the blue hooded elf
(Keep the Kalends!), Self-Adhesive (do not apply to leather,
vinyl....), L (sex in the laundry room. HA! I SAID IT!), Kali
(She's been marked down to a dollar!), Ally-cat (my lasagna isn't dead yet! AAAAH! YOU'RE FROM CALIFORNIA!), Graceful Gracefruit (True understanding doesn't need words. Now dance!), Viv (Nestea bottle! Hee hee hee...), Hiliary (5 x 1/8 = 5/8), Robin (What? No cookies? Let us sally forth, for we must not tarry!), Shannon (WE SUCK!!!), Deb (Hang in there Goofy-girl), Rev (Gullible Gus), Karen (Party Central!), Red (you make me feel like a natural number), and Sophie (I'm gonna tell you about my fwiend Leesa!)
Back to the Main Page
M. E. R. / HHFV69C@prodigy.com / Last updated 2/22/98
"If we shadows have offended
Think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear." -- Shakespeare
"Oops, froze the whipping cream!" -- Mina, Sailor Moon